Emerging bacterial pathogens
The unit is engaged in the following areas:
- research activities in the field of mycobacteria and nosocomial pathogens,
- accredited specialized diagnostics for mycobacterial infections,
- molecular epidemiology and typing of nosocomial pathogens for the OSR infection control committee,
- international public health activities in the TB field,
- international trainings in the field of mycobacterial diseases and multidrug resistant pathogens.
The main research focus is on tuberculosis and other mycobacterial diseases with multiple lines of research:
- Investigation of the determinants of drug resistance at genomic level and the correlation between specific SNPs in relevant genes and an increase in the phenotypic resistance by quantitative methods.
- Investigation of the pathogen’s associated determinants leading to the progression of the disease with a focus on the role of non-coding genomic regions.
- Design and evaluation of new diagnostic assays.
- Investigation of TB transmission dynamics among vulnerable population and the best strategy to be implemented for an early detection.
- Use of whole genome sequencing (WGS) and in-house bioinformatic pipelines for the surveillance of TB outbreaks.
- WGS-based revision of the taxonomy of NTMs and transmission investigation.
- Development of a mouse model of lung chronic infection to study disease progression after NTMs infection and response to novel antibiotic therapies.
In addition, the group focus on virulence factors responsible for antimicrobial drug resistance in nosocomial pathogens. The unit identified virulence factors promoting the successful establishment of selected methicillin resistant S.aureus and KPC producing K.pneumoniae clones in hospitals. Moreover, researchers recently implemented WGS and customized bioinformatics pipelines as a tool to investigate transmission and virulence factors of multidrug resistant pathogens at both nosocomial and community level.
Dorman SE, Schumacher SG, Alland D, Nabeta P, Armstrong DT, King B, Hall SL, Chakravorty S, Cirillo DM, Tukvadze N, Bablishvili N, Stevens W, Scott L, Rodrigues C, Kazi MI, Joloba M, Nakiyingi L, Nicol MP, Ghebrekristos Y, Anyango I, Murithi W, Dietze R, Peres RL, Skrahina A, Auchynka V, Chopra KK, Hanif M, Liu X, Yuan X, Boehme CC, Ellner JJ, Denkinger CM; study team. Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and rifampin resistance: a multicentre diagnostic accuracy study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Jan;18(1):76-84.
Tagliani E, Hassan MO, Waberi Y, de Filippo MR, Falzon D, Dean A, Zignol M, Supply P, Abdoulkader MA, Hassangue H, Cirillo DM. Culture and Next- generation sequencing-based drug susceptibility testing unveil high levels of drug-resistant-TB in Djibouti: results from the first national survey.Sc Rep. 2017; (7) 17672.
Miotto P, Tessema B, Tagliani E, Chindelevitch L, Starks AM, Emerson C, Hanna D, Kim PS, Liwski R, Zignol M, Gilpin C, Niemann S, Denkinger CM, Fleming J, Warren RM, Crook D, Posey J, Gagneux S, Hoffner S, Rodrigues C, Comas I, Engelthaler DM, Murray M, Alland D, Rigouts L, Lange C, D Keertan , Hasan R, Ranganathan K UD , McNerney R, Ezewudo M, Cirillo DM, Schito M, Köser CU, Rodwell TC. A standardised method for interpreting the association between mutations and phenotypic drug-resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 2017 Dec 28;50(6).
Marais BJ, Walker TM, Cirillo DM, Raviglione M, Abubakar I, van der Werf MJ, Boehme C, Niemann S, Castro KG, Zumla A, Sintchenko V, Crook DW. Aiming for zero tuberculosis transmission in low-burden countries. Lancet Respir Med. 2017 Oct 12.
Tortoli E, Fedrizzi T, Meehan CJ, Trovato A, Grottola A, Giacobazzi E, Serpini GF, Tagliazucchi S, Fabio A, Bettua C, Bertorelli R, Frascaro F, De Sanctis V, Pecorari M, Jousson O, Segata N, Cirillo DM. The new phylogeny of the genus Mycobacterium: The old and the news. Infect Genet Evol. 2017 Oct 11;56:19-25. ISSN:1348. 1567.
Tortoli E, Kohl T, Trovato A, Baldan R, Campana S, Cariani L, Colombo C, Costa D, Cristadoro S, Di Serio C, Manca A, Pizzamiglio G, Rancoita P, Rossolini G, Taccetti G, Teri A, Niemann S, Cirillo DM. Mycobacterium abscessus in cystic fibrosis patients, low impact of inter-human transmission in Italy. Eur Respir J. Apr 2017 Jul 13;50(1).
Cobelens F, Kik S, Esmail H, Cirillo D, Lienhardt C, Matteelli. A. From latent to patent: rethinking prediction of tuberculosis. Lancet Respir Med. 2017 Apr;5(4):243-244.
Schena E, Nedialkova L, Borroni E, Battaglia S, Cabibbe AM, Niemann S, Utpatel C, Merker M, Trovato A, Hofmann-Thiel S, Hoffmann H, Cirillo D. Delamanid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis using the resazurin microtitre assay and the BACTEC (TM) MGIT (TM) 960 system. Antimicrob Chemother. 2016 Jun;71(6):1532-9.
Baldan R, Rancoita PM, Di Serio C, Mazzotti M, Cichero P, Ossi C, Biancardi A, Nizzero P, Saracco A, Scarpellini P, Cirillo DM. Epidemic MRSA clone ST22-IV is more resistant to multiple host-and environment-related stresses compared with ST228-I. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015 Mar;70(3):757-65.
Miotto P, Cabibbe AM, Feuerriegel S, Casali N, Drobniewski F, Rodionova Y, Bakonyte D, Stakenas P, Pimkina E, Augustynowicz-Kopeć E, Degano M, Ambrosi A, Hoffner S, Mansjö M, Werngren J, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Niemann S, Cirillo DM. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Pyrazinamide resistance determinants: a Multicenter Study. MBio. 2014 Oct 21;5(5):e01819-14.
Andrea Maurizio Cabibbe
Maria Rosaria De Filippo