The Unit investigates the neuro-cognitive mechanisms of sensori-motor functions, particularly the visual and tactile systems. Research activity relies on a variety of approaches: psychophysiological (based on physiological and electroencephalographic responses), psychophysical (based on the measure of sensations), behavioral (based on the measure of motor activity), neuroimaging (based on fMRI techniques) and phenomenological (based on subjective experience). Basic research, which is the main mission of the Experimental Psychology Unit, is regarded also as a starting point to develop technologies and advanced quantitative methods for clinical diagnosis in psychology, neurology, neuroradiology, neuro-ophtalmology and psychiatry. The Unit is based on the Laboratory of Action, Perception and Cognition (Lapco).
- Basic vision (textures) and visual illusions
- Motion perception
- The perception of temporal flow
- Visual self-agency and self-awareness
- History of psychology of perception
- Real-time attention tracking
- Oculomotor and attentional correlates of mental imagery
- Interactive displays
- Oculomotor patterns in pathologies of the visual system
- Haptic sense and manipulation activity
- Analysis of grasps and prehension strategies
- Force and movement perception, kinaesthesia
- Space perception (in absence of vision)
- Dynamic cortical visual responsiveness as assessed through SSVEPs
- Cortical Plasticity in patients affected by retinal diseases (fMRI and DTI)
- Development of the visual system in infants (fMRI and DTI)
- Pathologies of the cortico-spinal tract and its endings (DTI)
- Pupillometry in ALS patients
- Sensory-motor development
- Technologies for sensory-motor assessment
Gregori Grgič R, Calore E, de’Sperati C. Covert enaction at work: Recording the continuous movements of visuospatial attention to visible or imagined targets by means of Steady-State Visual Evoked Potentials (SSVEPs). Cortex 2016. 74:31-52.
Gregori Grgič R, Crespi SA, de’Sperati C. Assessing self-awareness through Gaze Agency. PLoS One. 2016. 11(11):e0164682.
van Beek FE, Bergmann Tiest WM, Kappers AML, Baud-Bovy G. Integrating force and position: testing model predictions. Experimental Brain Research 2016. 234(11):3367–3379.
Baud-Bovy G, Gentaz E. The perception and representation of orientations: a study in the haptic modality. Acta Psychologica 2012. 141(1):24-30.
Crespi S, Robino C, Silva O, de’Sperati C. Spotting expertise in the eyes: billiards knowledge as revealed by gaze shifts in a dynamic visual prediction task. Journal of Vision 2012;41(2):148-67.
Vezzani S, Marino BF, Giora E. An early history of the Gestalt factors of organisation. Perception 2012. Vol. 41, p. 148-167.
Crespi S, Biagi L, d’Avossa G, Burr DC, Tosetti M, Morrone MC. Spatiotopic coding of BOLD signal in human visual cortex depends on spatial attention. PLoS One. 2011;6(7):e21661.
Gregori-Grgiĉ R, Balderi M, de’Sperati C. Delayed perceptual awareness in rapid perceptual decisions. PLoS One. 2011 Feb 17;6(2):e17079.
Giora E, Gori S.The perceptual expansion of a filled area depends on textural characteristics. Vision Research 2010 Nov;50(23):2466-2475.
de’Sperati C, Baud-Bovy, G. Blind saccades: An asynchrony between seeing and looking. The Journal of Neuroscience 2008 Apr 23;28(17):4317-21.