The main research lines of modern RT are investigated; several papers have been published (10-15 papers/year) on International Journals regarding:
- Radiobiological models to correlate dosimetric/clinical data with outcome (toxicity, local control) for many diseases.
- The definition of imaging-related indices (based on CT/PET/MR images) acquired before/during treatment as early predictors of the treatment response.
- The validation of “knowledge-based” models for semi-automatic plan optimization in RT
- The multi-modal images acquisition to monitoring the early modifications induced by radiation in order to define adaptive strategies. An advanced approach has been implemented in neo-adjuvant radio-chemotherapy of rectal cancer.
- PET/CT radiomic for better tumor characterization and monitoring treatment response.
- SBRT & tracking with robotic radiosurgery.
- Adaptive Radiotherapy & response-guided adaptation for individual RT optimization.
- Peripheral dose modelling and secondary cancer induction following RT treatments.
Several collaborations with national and international groups have been consolidated on different projects.
- Several collaborations with Radiology and Neuroradiology DPTs in order to continuously optimize the execution of imaging procedures on advanced technological units.
- Cardiac MR T1 mapping technique and extracellular volume fraction (ECV).
- Multicentre studies to determine the performances of new imaging devices.
- As indicated by Euratom 59/2013 guideline, detailed analysis of systems for recording the patient dose related to radiological examinations.
- Several collaborations with national groups for the definition of national guidelines.
- Cyclotron decommissioning. In collaboration with Physics DPT UNIMI, comparison between Monte Carlo simulations and experimental verifications of activated components of a 18 MeV protons Cyclotron.
- In collaboration with industrial partners, a project for a new personal dosimeter based on solid state detector. The accumulated dose is transmitted to a common database.
Longo M, Genovese E, Donatiello S, Cassano B, Insero T, Campoleoni M, Del Vecchio A, Magistrelli A, Tomà P, Cannatà V, Quantification of scatter radiation from radiographic procedures in a neonatal intensive care unit. Pediatric Radiology, 2018
Palorini F, Cozzarini C, Gianolini S, Botti A, Carillo V, Iotti C, Rancati T, Valdagni R, Fiorino C, First application of a pixel-wise analysis on bladder dose-surface maps in prostate cancer radiotherapy. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 2016, 119 (1), pp. 123-128
Cozzarini C., Briganti A., Fossati N., Montorsi F., Di Muzio N., Fiorino C.:Dose escalation in salvage radiation therapy and urinary toxicity: A small price to pay for a significant prospective benefit. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2016, 34 (14), pp. 1704-1705.
Fiorino C, Cozzarini C, Rancati T, Briganti A, Cattaneo GM, Mangili P., Di Muzio N.G, Calandrino R. Modelling the Impact of Fractionation on Late Urinary Toxicity After Postprostatectomy Radiation Therapy. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2014; 90(5): 1250-1257
Belli M.L, Scalco E, Sanguineti G, Fiorino C, Broggi S, Dinapoli N, Ricchetti F, Valentini V., Rizzo G., Cattaneo G. M.; Early changes of parotid density and volume predict modifications at the end of therapy and intensity of acute xerostomia. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie 2014; 190:1001–1007, 1-7
Boari N., Bailo M., Gagliardi F., Franzin A., Gemma M., del Vecchio A., Bolognesi A, Picozzi P., Mortini P.; Gamma Knife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: clinical results at long-term follow-up in a series of 379 patients. J Nucl Med, 2014 (Suppl 2) 121:123–142
Spinelli AE, Ferdeghini M, Cavedon C, Zivelonghi E, Calandrino R, Fenzi A, Sbarbati A, Boschi F. First human Cerenkography. J. Biomed. Opt. 2013; 18(2): 20502
Passoni P, Fiorino C, Slim N, Ronzoni M, Ricci V, Di Palo S, De Nardi P, Orsenigo E, Tamburini A, De Cobelli F, Losio C, Iacovelli NA, Broggi S, Staudacher C, Calandrino R, Di Muzio NG. Feasibility of an adaptive strategy in preoperative radiochemotherapy for rectal cancer with image-guided Tomotherapy: boosting the dose to the shrinking tumor. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2013; 87(1): 67-72
Cattaneo GM, Passoni P, Longobardi B, Slim N, Reni M, Cereda S, di Muzio NG, Calandrino R. Dosimetric and clinical predictors of toxicity following combined chemotherapy and moderately hypofractionated rotational radiotherapy of locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Radiother. Oncol.: 2013; 108(1): 66-71
Calandrino R, Ardu V, Corletto D, del Vecchio A, Origgi D., Signorotto P, Spinelli AE, Tosi G, Bolognesi A, Cariati M, Kluzer A, Muscarella S; Evaluation of second cancer induction risk by CT follow up in oncological long surviving patients. Health Phys. 2013; 104(1): 1-8